There is also another reason I read: I like to get involved in promoting good books. I love it when kids light up and tell me about a book. I love talking to other book bloggers and making a connection. I love it when an author is excited about a new release. I also love it when my favorite authors reach for their dream and get it. That’s kind of sappy, but books mean that much to me and those who write them deserve the recognition of their hard work.
Favorite Genres: My faves are urban fantasy, paranormal romance, some horror and mystery/thrillers. I read contemporary romance and true crime on occasion, but not very often
Reading Style: I don’t really think I have a style. I have more of criteria. I love snark and humor. I dislike hero or heroine betrayals or, God forbid, death of said heroine or hero. I love relationship building in a story. I love alpha males in romances. I dislike cliffhangers. I like HEA’s (Happily Ever After’s) and a good mystery. Horror is good too, except psychological – that’s too scary.
Audiobooks: I was sucked into the audio book obsession and I have a hard time not buying both the written word and spoken word. It adds meaning to hear a narrator create a voice for the characters. The inflections and personalities come alive for me. That’s if the narrator is good. IF the narrator is bad, it kills the whole experience.
Reviews: My reviews are based on how it made me feel. If all I get is sadness and grief, I’ll skip the book and go to work instead. If I get a thrilling ride or a few hours that were humor filled or down right fun, I’ll tell you. I like characters that I can relate to – ones that seem real. I love stories that take me on an adventure and never have to leave the house. My reviews are truthful and honest. I will let you know if I’m nervous about a book so if you happen to be like me, then you can prepare yourself. I won’t tell you the ending, but if it’s a cliffhanger, I’ll warn you.
Authors: If you request a review from me, be aware that I’m a reviewer who is interested in the books as well as the author behind the books. I like to write my reviews like we are sitting around a table at a coffee shop. Grab your cup, take a load off and drop me a line – the link is up top. I will always be honest.
Nell’s Reading List – books and series in that make me all giddy and happy.
- Bickle, Laura. Anya Kalinczyk (series not active)| Dark Alchemy series
- Blackmoore, Stephen. Eric Carter
- Blackwell, Rob. Soren Chase
- Briggs, Patricia. Mercy Thompson | Alpha & Omega.
- Butcher, Jim. The Dresden Files
- Charish, Kristi. Adventures of Owl | Kincade Strange
- Conroe, John. The Demon Accords
- Correia, Larry. Monster Hunters International
- Dane, Lauren. Goddess with a Blade
- Drake, Jocelynn. Dark Days | Asylum Tales.
- Estep, Jennifer. Elemental Assassin
- Farish, Lincoln. Inquisitor Series
- Farnsworth, Christopher. Nathanial Cade (series not active)
- Gustainis, Justin. Occult Crimes Unit Investigations (series not active)
- Harris, Charlaine. Sookie Stackhouse (series finished)
- Hartness, John G. Quincy Harker series
- Hearne, Kevin. The Iron Druid Chronicles
- Hughes, Alex. Mindspace Investigations
- Hunter, Faith. Jane Yellowrock.| Soulwood
- Hunter, James A. Yancy Lazarus
- Jacka, Benedict. Alex Verus.
- Jones, Darynda. Charley Davidson
- Kadrey, Richard. Sandman Slim
- Lange, Ken. The Vigiles Urbani Chronicles, | Warden Global
- Magnarella, Brad. Prof Croft
- McHugh, Steve. Hellequin Chronicles
- Neill, Chloe. Chicagoland Vampires
- Price, Kalayna. Alex Craft
- Rowland, Diana. Kara Gillian
- Schaefer, Craig. Daniel Faust Series | Harmony Black Series
- Shearin, Lisa. SPI Files
- Stark, Jenn. Immortal Vegas
- Stein, Jeanne.. Anna Strong Chronicles
- Sylvan, Dianne. Shadow World
- Tuck, James R. Deacon Chalk, Occult Bounty Hunter (series not active)